What do Morticians, Undertakers, and Funeral Directors do?
Perform various tasks to arrange and direct funeral services, such as coordinating transportation of body to mortuary, interviewing family or other authorized person to arrange details, selecting pallbearers, aiding with the selection of officials for religious rites, and providing transportation for mourners.
- Obtain information needed to complete legal documents, such as death certificates or burial permits.
- Oversee the preparation and care of the remains of people who have died.
- Consult with families or friends of the deceased to arrange funeral details, such as obituary notice wording, casket selection, or plans for services.
- Plan, schedule, or coordinate funerals, burials, or cremations, arranging details such as floral delivery or the time and place of services.
- Perform embalming duties as necessary.
- Arrange for clergy members to perform needed services.
- Contact cemeteries to schedule the opening and closing of graves.
- Provide information on funeral service options, products, or merchandise and maintain a casket display area.
- Close caskets and lead funeral corteges to churches or burial sites.
- Inform survivors of benefits for which they may be eligible.
- Offer counsel and comfort to bereaved families or friends.
- Discuss and negotiate prearranged funerals with clients.
- Maintain financial records, order merchandise, or prepare accounts.
- Provide or arrange transportation between sites for the remains, mourners, pallbearers, clergy, or flowers.
- Plan placement of caskets at funeral sites or place or adjust lights, fixtures, or floral displays.
- Direct preparations and shipment of bodies for out-of-state burial.
- Manage funeral home operations, including the hiring, training, or supervision of embalmers, funeral attendants, or other staff.
- Clean funeral home facilities and grounds.
- Arrange for pallbearers or inform pallbearers or honorary groups of their duties.
- Receive or usher people to their seats for services.
- Participate in community activities for funeral home promotion or other purposes.
Related Jobs (Morticians, Undertakers, and Funeral Directors)