What do Hairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists do?
Provide beauty services, such as shampooing, cutting, coloring, and styling hair, and massaging and treating scalp. May apply makeup, dress wigs, perform hair removal, and provide nail and skin care services.
- Keep work stations clean and sanitize tools such as scissors and combs.
- Cut, trim and shape hair or hairpieces, based on customers' instructions, hair type and facial features, using clippers, scissors, trimmers and razors.
- Analyze patrons' hair and other physical features to determine and recommend beauty treatment or suggest hair styles.
- Schedule client appointments.
- Bleach, dye, or tint hair, using applicator or brush.
- Update and maintain customer information records, such as beauty services provided.
- Shampoo, rinse, condition and dry hair and scalp or hairpieces with water, liquid soap, or other solutions.
- Operate cash registers to receive payments from patrons.
- Demonstrate and sell hair care products and cosmetics.
- Develop new styles and techniques.
- Apply water, setting, straightening or waving solutions to hair and use curlers, rollers, hot combs and curling irons to press and curl hair.
- Comb, brush, and spray hair or wigs to set style.
- Shape eyebrows and remove facial hair, using depilatory cream, tweezers, electrolysis or wax.
- Administer therapeutic medication and advise patron to seek medical treatment for chronic or contagious scalp conditions.
- Massage and treat scalp for hygienic and remedial purposes, using hands, fingers, or vibrating equipment.
- Shave, trim and shape beards and moustaches.
- Train or supervise other hairstylists, hairdressers and assistants.
- Recommend and explain the use of cosmetics, lotions, and creams to soften and lubricate skin and enhance and restore natural appearance.
- Give facials to patrons, using special compounds such as lotions and creams.
- Clean, shape, and polish fingernails and toenails, using files and nail polish.
- Apply artificial fingernails.
- Attach wigs or hairpieces to model heads and dress wigs and hairpieces according to instructions, samples, sketches or photographs.
Related Jobs (Hairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists)