What do Barbers do?
Provide barbering services, such as cutting, trimming, shampooing, and styling hair, trimming beards, or giving shaves.
- Clean and sterilize scissors, combs, clippers, and other instruments.
- Cut and trim hair according to clients' instructions and/or current hairstyles, using clippers, combs, hand-held blow driers, and scissors.
- Drape and pin protective cloths around customers' shoulders.
- Question patrons regarding desired services and haircut styles.
- Clean work stations and sweep floors.
- Record services provided on cashiers' tickets or receive payment from customers.
- Order supplies.
- Shape and trim beards and moustaches, using scissors.
- Stay informed of the latest styles and hair care techniques.
- Suggest treatments to alleviate hair problems.
- Shampoo hair.
- Keep card files on clientele, recording notes of work done, products used and fees charged after each visit.
- Perform clerical and administrative duties such as keeping records, paying bills, and hiring and supervising personnel.
- Curl, color, or straighten hair, using special chemical solutions and equipment.
- Apply lather; and shave beards, or neck and temple hair contours, using razors.
- Measure, fit, and groom hairpieces.
- Recommend and sell lotions, tonics, or other cosmetic supplies.
- Provide face, neck, and scalp massages.
- Provide skin care and nail treatments.
- Identify hair problems, using microscopes and testing devices, or by sending clients' hair samples out to independent laboratories for analysis.
Related Jobs (Barbers)